Hoppa till sidans innehåll | Hoppa till sidans huvudnavigering
Tournament at the Falun mine. Fotograf: Katarina Widén

History

According to legend a billy-goat by the name of Kåre arrived home with his horns stained red after having grazed in copper-rich soil in the woods.

This may well be how the enormous copper deposit was found that over centuries built Falun. We’re not sure when this happened, but there is evidence to support ore-mining as early as 1,000 years ago.

The name Falun probably comes from what is known as the fala (Swedish for pale) stream. During the 14th century, a market place called Falan sprung up on the banks and attracted settlers. Once the ore-mining developed, the town grew, and in 1641 it was granted its town charter by Queen Kristina.


 
© Falu kommun 791 83 FALUN | Tel 023-830 00 | E-post info@falun.se | Webb www.falun.se | Orgnr: 212000-2221

Senast ändrad/kontrollerad 2013-02-20

Validera denna sida CSS Validera denna sida HTML 4.01!